Adam's Needle Yucca
Status: In stock
- Sun, Part Sun/Shade
- Mature Plant Size (H x W): 3-4' x 3-4'
- Bloom Season: Summer
- Attracts Bees
- Deer Resistant
- Drought Tolerant
- Salt Tolerant
- Attracts Pollinators
Planting and Care for Deciduous Shrub - Yucca
- This particular Yucca is one of the best for low maintenance, drought resistant landscaping.
- Flowers in summer with grand spires of fragrant snow white bells.
- Fast growing shrub - grows approximately to 3-5’ tall in bloom x 4’ wide.
- An excellent plant for a rock garden or foundation planting.
- Needs a dry, sunny location.
Opening Plant Material
- Containers - Completely saturate the container plant by putting it in a larger container of water until the water stops bubbling. Remove the plant from the container.
- Yuccas can be planted in early spring.
- Dig a hole no deeper than the depth of the container, and at least 6" wider than the container on the sides.
- Slide plant from out of the pot by tapping on the bottom of the pot.
- With a shovel or knife, trim the bottom 2" off of the root ball.
- Rotate the plant to the proper position. Never lift or move plants by the tops.
- Place the root ball in the hole.
- Adjust the plant height so the root crown is slightly higher than the ground.
- Place fertilizer packets into the bottom of the hole (if purchased).
- Backfill the hole with soil, making sure the top of the root ball is visible and slightly higher than the soil around it.
- Firm the soil around the plant. Water well to settle soil around the root ball.
- Water frequently when newly planted.
Pruning - After Planting
- Containers - Although it is not essential for container plants to be pruned after planting, a light pruning to remove any broken branches during shipment, or to improve shape, may improve the look of your new planting.
Pruning - Throughout the Season
- Tackle pruning in early spring, shortly before the growing season.
- Pruning isn’t necessary for outdoor yuccas, though it makes for an easy way to keep it from completely overpowering the yard.
- Determine the halfway mark on your yucca and using a saw or similar cutting device. Lop off the top leafy section of the trunk. If you don’t want to make it quite as short as the halfway point, you can cut higher.
Watering - After Planting
- Plants typically take approximately 6 weeks to establish new roots in your soil. During this period, water plants as often as every 2-4 days at the start, and at least a minimum of once per week.
- Beyond the 6 week establishment period, water once per week, unless rain occurs.
Watering - Throughout the Season
- After the first season, plants should only be watered during extended periods without rain.
- How do you know if your plants need water? The easiest way to tell is to touch the soil around the roots. If it is moist, there is no need to water. If it is dry, give it a good soaking with the hose end (no nozzle) watering the soil only, not the leaves.
Planting & Handling Help
Download our Planting and Handling Guide below to plan for a successful arrival and install of your plants. Be sure to water all plants as soon as they arrive and every day until you’re ready to plant. Keep any bare root bundles in a shady, cool spot with the roots covered at all times.
Watch our videos on handling bare root plants, how your order is prepared for shipment and more.
What is the difference between Containers, Grow Bags, Bare Root, and Balled & Burlap (B&B)?
Our FedEx and local shipping times depend on two factors, one is by the region and the second is the type of product being shipped. For example, small fruits are only shipped in spring, but majority of our perennials are shipped from spring until fall. Keep in mind the dates below act as a general guide. Due to unpredictable weather, staffing, inventory and industry demands these timelines can change. Therefore, we cannot guarantee any of these times.
Shipping Dates by Region*
Northern Cold Region: April 22nd - November 7th
Northern Region: April 15th - November 7th
Middle Region: April 1st - November 7th
Southern Region: March 15th - November 7th
Local Delivery (small radius from Waterloo, WI): April 22nd - November 7th
Shipping Dates by Season*
Spring Shipping: Region Start Date (above) - May
Fall Shipping: September - November
Due to unpredictable weather, these times may vary. Some varieties are exceptions due to heat and plant health reasons. Enter your shipping zip code at the top of this page and be sure to check the shipping information on each product before you add it to your cart. If the product is too large or restricted in your state, you will not be able to checkout with that item in your cart.