Sunny Boulevard St. John's Wort
Product Code: hsunn
Planting & Care for St. John's Wort (Hypericum) Plants
- St. John's Wort (Hypericum) needs to be planted in full sun to partial shade.
- They can easily be grown in medium moisture areas.
- These plants like well-drained soils.
- Prefer rich, sandy loams.
- It will tolerate being planted in an area that has poor soil.
- This plant does well if planted on a rocky slope, in wild gardens and natural areas.
Opening Plant Material
- Completely saturate all container plants by putting in a larger container of water until stops bubbling, then remove from the container.
- You can plant in early spring.
- In light soils that parch quickly, mulch in spring with moisture-conversing, bulky organics to keep roots cool and active.
- Dig a hole no deeper than the depth of the container and 6" or more wider on the sides.
- Slide plant from pot by tapping on the bottom of the pot.
- With shovel or knife trim bottom 2" off of the root ball for plants in plastic containers.
- Rotate the plant to the proper position. Never lift or move plants by the tops.
- Place the root ball in the hole.
- Adjust the plant height so the root crown is slightly higher than the ground.
- Place fertilizer packets into the bottom of the hole (if purchased). *Use Our Recommended Fertilizer
- Back-fill the hole with soil, making sure the top of the root ball is visible and slightly higher than the soil around it.
- Firm the soil around the plant. Water well to settle soil around the root ball.
- Water frequently when newly planted.
Pruning - After Planting
- Although it is not essential for container plants to be pruned after planting, a light pruning to remove any broken branches during shipment and improve shape will help the looks of your new planting.
Pruning - Through-out the Season
- Prune if needed after bloom in late summer.
Watering - After Planting
- Plants typically take approximately 6 weeks to establish new roots in your soil. During this period, water plants as oft en as every 2-4 days at the start and at least a minimum of once per week.
- Beyond the 6 week establishment period, water once per week, unless rains occur.
Watering - Through-out the Season
- After the first season, plants should only be watered during extended periods without rain.
- How do you know if your plants need water? The easiest way to tell is to touch the soil around the roots. If it is moist, there is no need to water. If it is dry, give it a good soaking with the hose end (no nozzle) watering the soil only, not the leaves.
Go to our "Plant Features & Video Tab" for more information on container plants and how to plant them.
Special Features & Videos on St. John's Wort (Hypericum) Plants
Special Plant Features & Tips
- Flowers from June-September
- Sunny Boulevard Hypericum adds great yellow color to your landscape.
- Attracts bees and birds.
- It can be used as a hedge plant in the landscape.
- Most gardeners plant Sunny Boulevard in natural setting near ponds and let it grow as it pleases, but it can be formed to your liking.
- No serious insect or disease issues.
- This plant is considered to be low maintenance.
|Item||Approx Weight (lbs.)||Approx Base Dimensions (diameter)||Approx Height|
|#7 Grow Bag**||35-50||14-16"||5-8'|
|#10 Grow Bag**||55-70||18"||6-8'|
|#15 Grow Bag**||65-80||22"||6-10'|
|#20 Grow Bag**||75-100||24"||8-12'|
|1 1/4" B&B**||250-500||22" for single stems, 28" for multiple stems||8-11'|
|1 1/2" B&B**||325-600||24" for single stems, 30" for multiple stems||10-12'|
|2" B&B**||500-700||28" for single stems, 32" for multiple stems||10-14'|
|2 1/2" B&B**||600-1000||30" for single stems, 36" for multiple stems||10-15'|
|3 1/2" B&B**||1000||36"||12-18'|
|#3 container*||Less than 35||10"||10"|
|Bare Root*||varies, but always lighter||no soil on roots||varies depending on item|
*#1 - #3 containers and bare root are the only items that can be shipped FedEx and/or by our delivery trucks (see below for more information regarding pick-up and local delivery.
**Any items over 100 Ibs., #5 - #20 containers or B&B can only be delivered by our trucks due to FedEx shipping weight and size restrictions. Our trusted trucks only deliver around a 100 miles radius from our corporate office in Waterloo, Wisconsin. Any item you order can be picked-up at our corporate office in Waterloo, Wisconsin or our new retail garden center Winterland Nursery for free (bare root orders cannot be picked up at Winterland due to lack of bare root coolers). See our estimated delivery schedule here.
Growing Zones: 4-7
|Soil Conditions:||Normal, Sandy, Clay, Acidic, Dry|