Planting & Care for Hazelnut Trees/Shrubs
- Plant in a spot that gets full sun or partial shade.
- This tree can be planted under power line because of its compact size.
- Likes well-drained soils
Opening Plant Material
- Trees and shrubs in grow bags are hardier than plastic containers because their roots don't circle, which create stronger root systems.
- Our grow bags are made from recycled material.
- Completely saturate all grow bag plants by putting in a larger container of water until stops bubbling, remove. You're now ready to plant.
- Dig a hole no deeper than the depth of the grow bag and 6" or more wider on the sides.
- For Grow Bags - Remove bag by using a utility knife to slit up the side and peel off the fabric exposing the soil and roots. Plant the root ball just like you would a container plant. No trimming of roots is necessary for grow bags.
- Rotate the plant to the proper position. Never lift or move plants by the tops.
- Place the root ball in the hole.
- For Trees: Notice where the base of the trunk flairs out from the tree. This is called the root flair. This root flair should show when the tree is planted. If necessary, add soil under the ball so the root flair is exposed.
- Place our fertilizer packets into the bottom of the hole (if purchased). *Use Our Recommended Fertilizer
- Backfill the hole with soil, making sure the top of the root ball is visible and slightly higher than the soil around it.
- Firm the soil around the plant.
- Water well to settle soil around the root ball.
Pruning - After Planting
- Although it is not essential for container plants to be pruned after planting, a light pruning to remove any broken branches during shipment and improve shape will help the looks of your new planting.
Pruning - Through-out the Season
- This tree will require occasional maintenance and upkeep.
- It's best to prune it in late winter once the threat of extreme cold has passed.
Watering - After Planting
- Plants typically take approximately 6 weeks to establish new roots in your soil. During this period, water plants as oft en as every 2-4 days at the start and at least a minimum of once per week.
- Beyond the 6 week establishment period, water once per week, unless rains occur.
Watering - Through-out the Season
- After the first season, plants should only be watered during extended periods without rain.
- How do you know if your plants need water? The easiest way to tell is to touch the soil around the roots. If it is moist, there is no need to water. If it is dry, give it a good soaking with the hose end (no nozzle) watering the soil only, not the leaves.
Go to our "Plant Features & Video Tab" for more information on container plants and how to plant them.
Special Features & Videos on Hazelnut Trees/Shrubs
Special Plant Features & Tips
- Plant in early spring for best results
- Prune in late winter (March)
- This tree does require a little bit of maintenance.
- Compact forms makes it work in smaller landscapes
- Cat-tails hang during winter, which creates year round interest in the landscape.
|Item||Approx Weight (lbs.)||Approx Base Dimensions (diameter)||Approx Height|
|#7 Grow Bag**||35-50||14-16"||5-8'|
|#10 Grow Bag**||55-70||18"||6-8'|
|#15 Grow Bag**||65-80||22"||6-10'|
|#20 Grow Bag**||75-100||24"||8-12'|
|1 1/4" B&B**||250-500||22" for single stems, 28" for multiple stems||8-11'|
|1 1/2" B&B**||325-600||24" for single stems, 30" for multiple stems||10-12'|
|2" B&B**||500-700||28" for single stems, 32" for multiple stems||10-14'|
|2 1/2" B&B**||600-1000||30" for single stems, 36" for multiple stems||10-15'|
|3 1/2" B&B**||1000||36"||12-18'|
|#3 container*||Less than 35||10"||10"|
|Bare Root*||varies, but always lighter||no soil on roots||varies depending on item|
*#1 - #3 containers and bare root are the only items that can be shipped FedEx and/or by our delivery trucks (see below for more information regarding pick-up and local delivery.
**Any items over 100 Ibs., #5 - #20 containers or B&B can only be delivered by our trucks due to FedEx shipping weight and size restrictions. Our trusted trucks only deliver around a 100 miles radius from our corporate office in Waterloo, Wisconsin. Any item you order can be picked-up at our corporate office in Waterloo, Wisconsin or our new retail garden center Winterland Nursery for free (bare root orders cannot be picked up at Winterland due to lack of bare root coolers). See our estimated delivery schedule here.
Growing Zones: 3-9
|Color:||Green, Purple, Yellow|
|Plant Size:||6-8' tall x 3-5' wide|
|Sunlight:||Full Sun to Partial Shade|
|Soil Conditions:||Normal, Sandy, Clay, Acidic, Dry|