Planting & Care for Peony Plants
- Soil must be well-drained, but heavily enriched with manure or compost.
- Dig it over deeply to allow the free spread of roots.
- Make sure you're planting it in the spot that gets full sunlight or semi-shade.
- Needs protection from strong winds.
Opening Plant Material
- Completely saturate all container plants by putting in a larger container of water until stops bubbling, then remove the plant from the container.
- Peonies should be planted before the first hard frost (around October).
- Dig a hole no deeper than the depth of the container and 6" or more wider on the sides.
- Slide plant from pot by tapping on the bottom of the pot.
- With shovel or knife trim bottom 2" off of the root ball for plants in plastic containers.
- Rotate the plant to the proper position. Never lift or move plants by the tops.
- Place the root ball in the hole.
- Adjust the plant height so the root crown is slightly higher than the ground.
- Place fertilizer packets into the bottom of the hole (if purchased). *Use Our Recommended Fertilizer
- Backfill the hole with soil, making sure the top of the root ball is visible and slightly higher than the soil around it.
- Firm the soil around the plant. Water well to settle soil around the root ball.
- Water frequently when newly planted.
Pruning - After Planting
- Although it is not essential for container plants to be pruned after planting, a light pruning to remove any broken branches during shipment and improve shape will help the looks of your new planting.
Pruning - Through-out the Season
- Remove spent flower stems, but allow the foliage to die down naturally before trimming it back.
Watering - After Planting
- Plants typically take approximately 6 weeks to establish new roots in your soil. During this period, water plants as often as every 2-4 days at the start and at least a minimum of once per week.
- Beyond the 6 week establishment period, water once per week, unless rains occur.
Watering - Through-out the Season
- After the first season, plants should only be watered during extended periods without rain.
- How do you know if your plants need water? The easiest way to tell is to touch the soil around the roots. If it is moist, there is no need to water. If it is dry, give it a good soaking with the hose end (no nozzle) watering the soil only, not the leaves.
Go to our "Plant Features & Video Tab" for more information on container plants and how to plant them.
Special Features & Videos on Peony Plants
Special Plant Features & Tips
- Early bloomer, expect flowers around June.
- Peonies are excellent cut flowers, which will last longer if kept in a cool part of the home and given frequent water changes.
- Cut flowers for indoor use when the blooms are opening.
- Peonies may flower poorly, if at all, in the first year after planting, but this should improve year after year.
- Apply a general fertilizer in early spring. At the same time, mulch but avoid the crown.
- Divide plants in the fall, taking care not to break the brittle roots.
- Hardy to 5 degrees Fahrenheit.
|Item||Approx Weight (lbs.)||Approx Base Dimensions (diameter)||Approx Height|
|#7 Grow Bag**||35-50||14-16"||5-8'|
|#10 Grow Bag**||55-70||18"||6-8'|
|#15 Grow Bag**||65-80||22"||6-10'|
|#20 Grow Bag**||75-100||24"||8-12'|
|1 1/4" B&B**||250-500||22" for single stems, 28" for multiple stems||8-11'|
|1 1/2" B&B**||325-600||24" for single stems, 30" for multiple stems||10-12'|
|2" B&B**||500-700||28" for single stems, 32" for multiple stems||10-14'|
|2 1/2" B&B**||600-1000||30" for single stems, 36" for multiple stems||10-15'|
|3 1/2" B&B**||1000||36"||12-18'|
|#3 container*||Less than 35||10"||10"|
|Bare Root*||varies, but always lighter||no soil on roots||varies depending on item|
*#1 - #3 containers and bare root are the only items that can be shipped FedEx and/or by our delivery trucks (see below for more information regarding pick-up and local delivery.
**Any items over 100 Ibs., #5 - #20 containers or B&B can only be delivered by our trucks due to FedEx shipping weight and size restrictions. Our trusted trucks only deliver around a 100 miles radius from our corporate office in Waterloo, Wisconsin. Any item you order can be picked-up at our corporate office in Waterloo, Wisconsin or our new retail garden center Winterland Nursery for free (bare root orders cannot be picked up at Winterland due to lack of bare root coolers). See our estimated delivery schedule here.
Growing Zones: 3-7
|Flower Color:||Double Deep Red|
|Soil Conditions:||Normal, Sandy, Clay, Acidic, Dry|