Planting & Care for Hazelnut Trees/Shrubs
- Plant in a spot that gets full sun for best results in the color of the leaves.
- This tree can be planted under power line because of its compact size.
- Likes well-drained soils
- A rare plant!
- Plant as a specimen in the landscape
- Beautiful fall color with velvty purple leaves turning bronze.
Opening Plant Material
- Containers - Completely saturate all container plants by putting in a larger container of water until stops bubbling, then remove. You're now ready to plant.
- Illustrations are avaialble if you scroll down and click on the rectangular orange box labeled "Handling & Planting Guidelines".
- Dig a hole no deeper than the depth of the container and 6" or more, making sure it’s wider on the sides.
- Slide plant from pot by tapping on the bottom of the pot.
- With shovel or knife trim bottom 2" off of the root ball for plants in plastic containers.
- Rotate the plant to the proper position. Never lift or move plants by the tops.
- Place the root ball in the hole.
- Notice where the base of the trunk flairs out from the tree. This is called the root flair. This root flair should show when the tree is planted. If necessary, add soil under the ball so the root flair is exposed.
- Place fertilizer packets into the bottom of the hole (if purchased). *Use Our Recommended Fertilizer.
- Backfill the hole with soil, making sure the top of the root ball is visible and slightly higher than the soil around it.
- Firm the soil around the plant. Water well to settle soil around the root ball
Pruning - After Planting
- Although it is not essential for container plants to be pruned after planting, a light pruning to remove any broken branches during shipment and improve shape will help the looks of your new planting.
Pruning - Through-out the Season
- This tree will require occasional maintenance and upkeep.
- It's best to prune it in late winter once the threat of extreme cold has passed.
Watering - After Planting
- Plants typically take approximately 6 weeks to establish new roots in your soil. During this period, water plants as oft en as every 2-4 days at the start and at least a minimum of once per week.
- Beyond the 6 week establishment period, water once per week, unless rains occur.
Watering - Through-out the Season
- After the first season, plants should only be watered during extended periods without rain.
- How do you know if your plants need water? The easiest way to tell is to touch the soil around the roots. If it is moist, there is no need to water. If it is dry, give it a good soaking with the hose end (no nozzle) watering the soil only, not the leaves.
Go to our "Plant Features & Video Tab" for more information on container plants and how to plant them.
Special Features & Videos for Hazelnut
Special Plant Features & Tips
- The fall color is filled with colors of purple and red.
- This shrub is best suited in a naturalized landscape setting.
- This plant is excellent for slope plantings.
- Mature growth is around 8-10' tall and wide.
- This shrub grows in a rounded shape.
- Takes on a multi-stemmed form with an open, often wide-spreading base.
- The American hazelnut grows in acidic, alkaline, loamy, moist, rich, sandy, well-drained and clay soils.
- It is drought-tolerant.
|Item||Approx Weight (lbs.)||Approx Base Dimensions (diameter)||Approx Height|
|#7 Grow Bag**||35-50||14-16"||5-8'|
|#10 Grow Bag**||55-70||18"||6-8'|
|#15 Grow Bag**||65-80||22"||6-10'|
|#20 Grow Bag**||75-100||24"||8-12'|
|1 1/4" B&B**||250-500||22" for single stems, 28" for multiple stems||8-11'|
|1 1/2" B&B**||325-600||24" for single stems, 30" for multiple stems||10-12'|
|2" B&B**||500-700||28" for single stems, 32" for multiple stems||10-14'|
|2 1/2" B&B**||600-1000||30" for single stems, 36" for multiple stems||10-15'|
|3 1/2" B&B**||1000||36"||12-18'|
|#3 container*||Less than 35||10"||10"|
|Bare Root*||varies, but always lighter||no soil on roots||varies depending on item|
*#1 - #3 containers and bare root are the only items that can be shipped FedEx and/or by our delivery trucks (see below for more information regarding pick-up and local delivery.
**Any items over 100 Ibs., #5 - #20 containers or B&B can only be delivered by our trucks due to FedEx shipping weight and size restrictions. Our trusted trucks only deliver around a 100 miles radius from our corporate office in Waterloo, Wisconsin. Any item you order can be picked-up at our corporate office in Waterloo, Wisconsin or our new retail garden center Winterland Nursery for free (bare root orders cannot be picked up at Winterland due to lack of bare root coolers). See our estimated delivery schedule here.
Growing Zones: 4-9
|Color:||Green, Purple, Red|
|Plant Size:||8-10' tall x 8-10' wide|
|Soil Conditions:||Normal, Sandy, Clay, Acidic, Wet, Dry|