Frequently Asked Questions
What is my Hardiness Zone?
There are two spots on our website to enter your hardiness zone.
That zone identifies the area that the plants will grow in with a highlighted green square next to your zip code. If shipping to a zone where you are not located you must change the zip code.
You can always click here to see our hardiness zone map from the USDA.
Which products can be delivered by FedEx?
FedEx can only ship the following items on our website due to weight and size restrictions
- #3 containers/grow bags
- #2 containers/grow bags
- #1 containers/grow bags
- All small fruit bare root bundles
- Bare root shrubs 3' and smaller
- Bare root trees 5' and smaller
All of our items can be ordered for local pick-up (Wisconsin residents only) at either or Waterloo, WI or Oregon, WI locations. Please see "Are online orders available for pick-up if you live near Waterloo, WI" for more detailed information.
Are you a garden center? Can I see my plants before purchasing them online?
We have a new retail garden center that's currently called "Winterland Nursery". It's 40 acres and has a wide variety of McKay Nurserty stock including trees, shrubs, perennials and much more! Winterland is located at 5655 Lincoln Road Oregon, WI 53575 (take Fish Hatchery Road off the beltline until you hit Lincoln Road). Please call ahead for availability and hours 608-835-6556. Get directions and more information by check-out Winterland's website here.
When will my order ship?
We start shipping when the planting season is right for your area. Typically we do not ship from late December until mid-February to accommodate for the cold weather in our area each year, but will resume when the weather is right for planting in your area.
Orders will ship within 10 business days or less during the planting season.
Keep in mind that this timeline is only a guide and that timelines can shift due to weather.
Item April May June July August September October November Bare Root X X X X X All other plants, trees & shrubs X X X X X X
- Our fall shipping schedule goes until mother nature stops us, or until all orders for fall are shipped. This is usually no later than mid-November to early December.
- All B&B evergreens and certain perennials must be ordered by early October so they can be shipped out and planted by mid-October. No perennials or evergrens will be shipped during the 'late fall' (typically later than mid-November to early December) season. If you order after this time they will be shipped next spring. Excludes - hosta and daylilies. They will ship until the ground freezes
What forms of payment do you accept?
MasterCard, VISA & Discover cards are accepted at this time.
How much is shipping & handling?
Shipping is calculated directly on our site and is dependent on weight and distance. You will see the shipping cost before your final checkout.
Are online orders available for pick-up if you live near Waterloo, Wisconsin?
Online orders are available for local pickup in Waterloo, WI (McKay Nursery Co.) and Oregon, WI (Winterland Nursery) .
Instructions for Waterloo (McKay Nursery) pick-up
1. After placing your online order please call 920-478-2121 three days in advance to schedule for your pickup.
2. Please check-in at the main desk of the Waterloo office (750 S Monroe Street)
3. You will then be given directions on where to pick-up your items.
Please keep in mind that it takes time for us to get your products directly out of our fields and prepared for pickup. This ensures you receive fresh, hand-picked, quality plants that are ready for your landscape. If you do not call to schedule a date to pick-up your items we reserve the right to re-stock your items 14 business days after you place your order.
Instructions for Oregon (Winterland) pick-up**
1. After placing your online order please call 920-478-2121 five business days in advance to schedule for your pickup.
2. Please check-in at the main greenhouse at the Oregon office (5655 Lincoln Rd)
3. You will then be directed to your order for pick-up.
Please keep in mind that it takes time to get our nursery stock from Waterloo to Oregon. This ensures you receive fresh, hand-picked, quality plants that are ready for your landscape. If you do not call to schedule a date to pick-up your items we reserve the right to re-stock your items 14 business days after you place your order.
**Bare root items cannot be picked-up at Winterland due to lack of cool storage facilities. Bare root can only be picked up at Waterloo, WI.
Can I send a gift?
Yes please see the gifts section.
How do I redeem my discount code?
Simply enter your discount code on the payment information page in the checkout screen of our online store.
Date Updated: 4/02/2016
Do you offer discounts for bulk & wholesale orders?
Nursery professionals looking for bulk pricing and availability should call our wholesale department at 800.236.4242.
From time to time we may offer sales that provide savings on volume purchases.
How can I check the status of my order?
Will-Call (Pick-up) Orders
- After placing your online order you need to call 920-478-2121 to schedule your pick-up location (Oregon,WI or Waterloo, WI) and date that you want to pick-up your order.
- Please allow 3 business days for all Waterloo, WI pick-ups and 5 business days for all Oregon, WI pick-ups after you place your order.
- Because all item(s) are dug fresh from our nursery fields we want to be sure our items stay fresh and sellable. If you order is not picked up 14 days after your schedule pick-up time we reserve the right to restock your item(s).
- Keep in mind bare root items cannot be picked up at Oregon, WI due to improper storage facilities
Local Delivery Orders
- Depending on your online order different items ship at different times due to their specific prime planting season. You will be contacted by our logisitcs coordinator to notify you the window in which we will deliver your item(s).
- You can call 920-478-2121 or email [email protected] to speak to someone to check the status of your online order.
- Depending on your online order and location different items ship at different times due to their prime planting season requirements.
- During our main shipping season (spring-fall) we will send items out 5-10 business days after you place your online order.
- If you place your online order during our main shipping season (spring-fall) you will receive an email from us with a link to get your tracking from FedEx. Once your item(s) leaves our facility please contact the shipping entity directly for updates.
How do I know if my order has shipped?
Local Delivery Orders
- You will be contacted from our logistics coordinator letting you know the window of delivery time.
- You will receive an email when your item ships with FedEx tracking information to track your package.
Can I delay the shipping of my order?
No, orders are processed and shipped on the next available shipping date.
What if I need to cancel my order?
You may cancel your order only if it has not shipped subject to a 20% restocking fee.
I received the wrong item, now what?
We apologize if we have shipped you an incorrect item.
Please photograph the item and call and speak to a customer service representative in our Customer Service Department and a representative will be happy to assist you. Call 1-800-236-4242 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, Central Standard Time.
Date Updated: 4/02/2016
My trees/plants were wilted on arrival. What do I do?
Immediately upon arrival, please open your boxes and water the roots and soil right away!
Many times (depending upon the weather in your area) the plants may heat up and need moisture during shipment. Don’t panic, just get out the hose and your plants should recover fully soon after you have soaked the roots and soils. Bare root plant root should be soaked in water overnight in a bucket or tub prior to planting.
Container plants should have the soil saturated.
Do you have a catalog?
Yes, it is available online. Click here to view the online catalog.
Do you sell Fertilizers?
Fertilizer packets and root stimulator is a great add on and should come up with each order at checkout.
What if my plants don’t have any leaves?
Remember that bare root plants are held dormant in our coolers and they still think it is winter. Even though you may be receiving them while plants in your yard have leaves, these plants are purposely held dormant and without soil on the roots. Plunge these bare root plants into water overnight before planting for great results. They will show signs of life almost right away.
What to do when your plants arrive?
Check-out our handy "Handling & Planting" guide by clicking here. If you should have additional quesitons, please feel free to contact customer service at 1-800-236-4242 Monday-Friday 8am-5pm (CST). If you have a question outside of this time please feel free to contact us via Facebook messenger and someone will respond as soon as possible.
What if I need more help?
You may always call and speak to a customer service representative in our Customer Service Department and a representative will be happy to assist you.
Please call at 1-800-236-4242 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, Central Standard Time.