Frequently Asked Questions
What is my Hardiness Zone?
There are two spots on our website to enter your hardiness zone.
That zone identifies the area that the plants will grow in with a highlighted green square next to your zip code. If shipping to a zone where you are not located you must change the zip code.
You can always click here to see our hardiness zone map from the USDA.
If my order is local delivery can the driver spot my nursery stock?
We only allow spotting of large nursery stock for safety reasons (see list below). If your order does not include any of the items below our driver will not spot them for you. This is for the safety and efficiency of our drivers. Based off of staffing, equipment needs and volume we have the right to change this at anytime at our discretion without notice.
Items that can be spotted by our drivers.
- 5' and larger evergreens
- 7' or taller B&B amelanchier, lilac japanese tree and hawthornes
- 1/2" or larger alder, mountain ash, and poplar tremuloides twins and clumps
- 1 1/4" caliper and larger B&B birch twin and clumps, sargent and tina crabapple trees
- 2" caliper and larger deciduous trees
Which products can be delivered by FedEx?
FedEx can only ship the following items on our website due to weight and size restrictions
- #3 containers/grow bags
- #2 containers/grow bags
- #1 containers/grow bags
- All small fruit bare root bundles
- Bare root shrubs 3' and smaller
- Bare root trees 5' and smaller
All of our items can be listed for a will-call pick-up (Wisconsin residents only) at or Waterloo, WI location 750 S. Monroe St. Waterloo, WI 53594. Please call us to place your order over the phone and set your pick-up date. We need atleast 3 business days notice before picking up your order. Please see "Are online orders available for pick-up if you live near Waterloo, WI" for more detailed information.
It has been a couple of weeks since I planted my items and I don't see any growth?
Thank you for your recent purchase from McKay Nursery Company. One of the most important ingredients to a successful planting is tender loving care and patience. Container, B&B and Bare root plantings can sometimes require a 6-8 week window to establish. Several factors such as weather, time of year planted, type of plant all play a role in the growth process. Please allow mother nature with the necessary time to help your plant to become established and provide beauty for your landscape. We understand your concern on buying plants online, that's why we offer the ability to purchase a one year gaurantee on all of our nursery stock online.
Are you a garden center? Can I see my plants before purchasing them online?
We have a retail garden center that's currently called McKay Garden Center - Oregon (formely known as Winterland Nursery). It's 40 acres and has a wide variety of McKay Nursery stock including trees, shrubs, perennials and much more! The garden center is south of Madison, WI located at 5655 Lincoln Road Oregon, WI 53575 (take Fish Hatchery Road off the beltline until you hit Lincoln Road). Please call ahead for availability and hours 608-835-6556. Get directions and more information by clicking here.
When will my order ship?
We start shipping when the planting season is right for your area. Typically we do not ship from late December until mid-February to accommodate for the cold weather in our area each year, but will resume when the weather is right for planting in your area.
Orders will ship within 10 business days or less during the planting season.
Keep in mind that this timeline is only a guide and that timelines can shift due to weather.
Item April May June July August September October November Bare Root X X X X X All other plants, trees & shrubs X X X X X X
- Our fall shipping schedule goes until mother nature stops us, or until all orders for fall are shipped. This is usually no later than mid-November to early December.
- All B&B evergreens and certain perennials must be ordered by early October so they can be shipped out and planted by mid-October. No perennials or evergrens will be shipped during the 'late fall' (typically later than mid-November to early December) season. If you order after this time they will be shipped next spring. Excludes - hosta and daylilies. They will ship until the ground freezes
What forms of payment do you accept?
MasterCard, VISA & Discover cards are accepted at this time.
How much is shipping & handling?
Shipping is calculated directly on our site and is dependent on weight and distance. You will see the shipping cost before your final checkout.
Are online orders available for pick-up if you live near Waterloo, Wisconsin?
Online orders are available for local pickup in Waterloo, WI (McKay Nursery Company)
Instructions for Waterloo (McKay Nursery) pick-up
1. Please call 920-478-2121 (Monday-Friday 8am-3pm CST) to place your order/pay over the phone and schedule your pick-up date. We do not allow same day pick-up. We require notice of 3 business days before picking up your order. Please keep in mind that it takes time for us to get your products directly out of our fields and prepared for pickup. This ensures you receive fresh, hand-picked, quality plants that are ready for your landscape. If you do not call to schedule a date to pick-up your items we reserve the right to re-stock your items 14 business days after you place your order.
2. Please check-in at the main desk of the Waterloo office (750 S Monroe Street) to get your pick-up paperwork and so we can notify the shipping
3. You will then be given directions on where to pick-up your items.
Can I send a gift?
Yes please see the gifts section.
How do I redeem my discount code?
Simply enter your discount code on the payment information page in the checkout screen of our online store.
Date Updated: 4/02/2016
Do you offer discounts for bulk & wholesale orders?
Nursery professionals looking for bulk pricing and availability should call our wholesale department at 800.236.4242.
From time to time we may offer sales that provide savings on volume purchases.
How can I check the status of my order?
Will-Call (Pick-up) Orders
- You must call to schedule your pick-up date before you arrive. Open Monday-Friday 8am - 3pm (noon-1pm lunch breach)
- Please allow 3 business days for all Waterloo, WI pick-ups from the date you placed your order if it's not already scheduled. Because all item(s) are dug fresh from our nursery fields we want to be sure our items stay fresh and sellable. If you order is not picked up 14 days after your schedule pick-up time we reserve the right to restock your item(s).
Local Delivery Orders
- Depending on your online order different items ship at different times due to their specific prime planting season. You will be contacted by our logisitcs coordinator to notify you the window in which we will deliver your item(s).
- You can call 920-478-2121 or email [email protected] to speak to someone to check the status of your online order.
- Depending on your online order and location different items ship at different times due to their prime planting season requirements.
- During our main shipping season (spring-fall) we will send items out 5-7 business days after you place your online order.
- If you place your online order during our main shipping season (spring-fall) you will receive an email from FedEx once your items ships. Once your item(s) leaves our facility please contact the shipping entity directly for updates.
How do I know if my order has shipped?
Local Delivery Orders
- You will be contacted from our logistics coordinator letting you know the window of delivery time.
- You will receive an email from FedEx when your item ships with tracking information to track your package.
Can I delay the shipping of my order?
No, orders are processed and shipped on the next available shipping date.
What if I need to cancel my order?
You may cancel your order only if it has not shipped subject to a 20% restocking fee.
I received the wrong item, now what?
We apologize if we have shipped you an incorrect item.
Please photograph the item and call and speak to a customer service representative in our Customer Service Department and a representative will be happy to assist you. Call 1-800-236-4242 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, Central Standard Time.
Date Updated: 4/02/2016
My trees/plants were wilted on arrival. What do I do?
Immediately upon arrival, please open your boxes and water the roots and soil right away!
Many times (depending upon the weather in your area) the plants may heat up and need moisture during shipment. Don’t panic, just get out the hose and your plants should recover fully soon after you have soaked the roots and soils. Bare root plant root should be soaked in water overnight in a bucket or tub prior to planting.
Container plants should have the soil saturated.
Do you have a catalog?
Yes, it is available online. Click here to view the online catalog.
Do you sell Fertilizers?
Fertilizer packets and root stimulator is a great add on and should come up with each order at checkout.
What if my plants don’t have any leaves?
We are a northern grown nursery and therefore all of our product is grown in zone 5. Depending on the time of year that we start shipping our plants might look different than plants that are in your area, especially if you are a southern state. We also ship some bare root plants. Remember that bare root plants are held dormant in our coolers and they still think it is winter. Even though you may be receiving them while plants in your yard have leaves, these plants are purposely held dormant and without soil on the roots. Plunge these bare root plants into water overnight before planting for great results. They will show signs of life as they grow happily in your yard.
What to do when your plants arrive?
Check-out our handy "Handling & Planting" guide by clicking here. If you should have additional quesitons, please feel free to contact customer service at 1-800-236-4242 Monday-Friday 8am-5pm (CST). If you have a question outside of this time please feel free to contact us via Facebook messenger and someone will respond as soon as possible.
What if I need more help?
You may always call and speak to a customer service representative in our Customer Service Department and a representative will be happy to assist you.
Please call at 1-800-236-4242 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, Central Standard Time.